Days to remember

picture by a friend back when we had the amazing lil' trip to Germany. Good, good memories.

A week off college is what I needed. Yes, I have heaps of things to do, but it's so much different when you don't get woken up by the alarm on your phone, when you don't have to catch a train in the cold morning, when you don't have to sit through not-always-very-interesting classes, and when you don't have to be sociable with people when all you want to do is listen to the soundtrack of Grease while taking a long bath. 

Last weekend was a whirlwind of emotions. First, a productive Saturday in which I went driving on the road, which was freaking scary and wow I am so grown-up gosh, and then a Sunday which was filled with emotions - happy and sad, so closely linked it is hard to describe. Happy because I spent it with a darling group of friends - a group of friends I never thought I would ever be lucky enough to be part of. A group of friends in which I always find myself encouraged, motivated, laughing till my belly hurts, and comfortable enough to share practically anything. Us 13-something folk crammed around a table for dinner; we played unorganised games drowned with inside jokes; we opened 6 bars of chocolate simultaneously; we listened to random music pieces.

And sad - because two dear friends of this group had to leave. They came to Belgium a year ago; and today they leave back to the States. And it was so sad to say goodbye. I hate goodbyes - they're like closing off a chapter and as much as I like the sweet wording of that, I hate closing chapters. It won't be the same without our "Mum and Dad" of the group; they bought something so special and colourful and Jesus-centred into all our lives. But I know we'll see each other again and I know they are needed in other places as well.

Anyway. That was last weekend, and it was a beautiful weekend. I have so much (so much) to be thankful for. It hits me every evening - I am a lucky girl.

Now I am enjoying my busy yet relaxing week, filling in any gaps between the hours I spend (or should spend) on homework with trying to learn how to do the Moonwalk, listening to Grease is the word and Hopelessly Devoted, making videos for myself so that I'll always remember good memories, reading 1 John because gah, ordering photos to be printed, and... and well yes, I've been listening to Christmas music a good while now. You? You should too.

12 comments:

  1. NOOOOOO NO CHRISTMAS MUSIC YET!!

    You drove! I'm so proud of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love reading your college adventures! You take a train to get to class?? That sounds quite adventurous! I live on campus so I just walk everywhere. :P In fact, I hadn't ever been on a train until a few weeks ago!
    Anyway, I have been listening to Christmas music (mostly just instrumental), but I'm trying to stop it until Thanksgiving now so that it will sound fresh and interesting for Advent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this post, Naomi! I hope all continues to go well with college, and that you enjoy the rest of your week off. :)
    I've tried to hold off on Christmas music so far, but I think I'm going to start listening to it this weekend! I would wait until after Thanksgiving, but I feel like that's just not enough time for me to listen to all the wonderful Christmassy music out there. :)
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn. Now you've got me wanting to listen to the Grease Soundtrack again. :P

    Oh, the Moonwalk, haha! Hey... that's a cool idea... I feel like I would never be that smooth, though. Those kind of moves do my head in.

    I haven't listened to Christmas music yet, because I like to start it all at once and set up decorations WHILE listening to Christmas music for the first time! (It's sort of a tradition.) And I'm in the process of convincing Mum to put the decorations up... it's not going too well. :P Her birthday is the last day of November and she says "we normally don't get them out till AFTER my birthday" but that's another whole month! And besides, we always have them out for my birthday, because no one feels like packing them up the day after Christmas. :P

    *goes off singing Hopelessly Devoted*

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT'S THE MOSTTT WONDERFULLL TIMEEEEE OF THE YEARRRRR

    *looks around Sheepishly*

    Glad to hear everything going well dear. Goodbyes are hard but sometimes goodbyes can lead to joyful hello's later down the track :D

    It's late here so I'm off to bed <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree--Christmas music is always a winning choice. No matter the season.

    (unless it's Lent, in which case, even *I* draw the line. But it ain't Lent now so we're fine ;-) )

    I'm sorry your friends are moving on. I know that hurts *sends hugs* I wish them well here in America! And at least you still have all your other youth group friends around you, to make it easier.

    College is EXHAUSTING. I agree. Make sure to get enough sleep, whatever you do. *coughs gently because do I always take this advice? No I do not*

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet post, Naomi. Memories are the best. Even the bad ones have something special. I'm glad you seem to be getting through Collage so far ok! :) Schoolwork is hard, man.

    CHRISTMAS MUSIC??? NO.
    NEVER. (AT LEAST NOT UNTIL DEC. 1ST) HOW DARE YOU.
    LEAVE NOW.

    Oh wait, I can't really tell you to 'leave now' when it's your blog, can I? .... hehe. Sorry.
    WELL I'LL LEAVE THEN.
    :)
    Enjoy your Fall.
    -Amaris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonder of wonders
    Miracle of miracles
    Naomi wrote a blog post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you're having a lovely life! You sound so different lately & yet in ways so much the same. I hope college is treating you well. You should write on what you've been learning. :) Best wishes for the week, Naomi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah, this is lovely.
    Hey, I know you're busy with college and all at this point but if you want to do it, I tagged you for the Book Lover Tag. http://raesdropofgoldensun.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-book-lover-tag.html
    No pressure whatsoever, I get what it is to be busy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off, I love your blog is so awesome (the theme and the banner) and secondly I understand how you hate closed chapters in life because I do too. And you can do it (for college, I mean) I have all the faith in you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWWWWW THIS POST THO!!!!! it was soooo good. also really made me want to visit Belgium. Like crazy.

    and don't get me started on goodbyes. I hate them as well!! the closing of chapters, the turning of pages the newness of laughter and friendship and love that will never be exactly the same...
    WOW LOOK AT ME BEING ALL SAD AND TIRED AND WOW IT'S LATE I GOTTA GO TO BED BUT AT leAST I CAUGHT UP oN YOUR POSTS only another 300 bloggers to catch up on, haha

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.