Sounds of life


{sounds right now}
my brother playing the piano
celtic women singing old ballads on spotify
the violin accompanying them
the tapping of my fingers on the keyboard
a cough from the other room
footsteps on the staircase


{sounds on a train}
the train announcements in the roboty, nasally voice
the guy on the phone with his buddy
the lady on the phone with her husband
the teenage girls gossiping about their teachers at school
doors opening with hisses and cracks
a sigh, a sneeze, a cough
and then the small crackle of a page turn in the middle of an exciting novel


{sounds in a quiet exam room}
the teacher walking around; her heels clicking the floor like an execution drum
little stifled coughs
creaking door handles opened by latecomers
groups of boys joking on the hallway; booming laughter
the determined sound of pen on paper
the sighs of those who know they'll fail


{sounds in a forest}
stones and twigs crunching and snapping underneath sturdy boots or flying bike wheels
Sunday afternoon conversations
the hum of a song
which is drowned in the mass of bird whistling; bird chirping
the scuffling sound of dead leaves being hurled to corners
by the gentle whoosh of the winds
the croaking of dark clouds
then... the pitter patter of light raindrops sprinkling the trees


{sounds at youth group}
the crackling of a bonfire
guitar chords and worship songs like King of Kings and Good Good Father
encouragement and prayer
"It's good to see you"s during hugs
high fives
buzz of teenagers stumbling indoors, playing table football, talking about the week
the crunch of crisps, the fizz of coke and the crumble of cake
oh and laughter; always


I'm thankful for my ears right now. :-)

11 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for you and the talent God has given you, right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It's so beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me, Naomi! How DO you manage to come up with all the right words and combine them with all the right pictures to make such utterly beautiful posts?! I think I'm a little jealous. ;P

    "then... the pitter patter of light raindrops sprinkling the trees" Gahhhhh! So lovely. <3 <3

    "the crunch of crisps" *GRIN* I know what those are! Because I'm educated now! ;D (But really, they're "chips". Just sayin'. *wink wink*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I thought of you when I wrote crisps. :-)

      Thank you for your kind words. ❤

      Delete
  4. I look forward to your posts with such a great amount of looking-forwardness. You are definitely my favourite blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwww this comment is so sweet... THANK YOU!!!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, as always <3

    I really liked the "execution drum" simile. #collegelife :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful, Naomi. I always, always enjoy reading your posts; you have such a gift for writing! <3

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.