Thursday, 9 February 2017

Crazy huge deal.


Here's something exciting I've been chewing on lately.

God could have easily made a big house, right? Like the stars; with gold and diamonds and white light shining beams from it. He could easily make it huge and visible and have a huge sign on it: "I live here", in letters that shine in the night and shout it out in the day. He could have easily made a high house in the sky, so that parents could point up and tell their kids that "God lives there!" and that we could tell our atheist friend to "just look up; there's His house."

... But he didn't.

You might think that if He did, t'would have made life much simpler for us. A huge proof of God's presence in the sky!

But He did something instead. He looked at you (yes, you; literally anyone on earth) as if you're the only one on earth (this is how God looks at people) and He said, "I want to live in you." He said, Rae, I want to live in you. Emma, I want you to be my house. Lissy, I want to live in you. Hannah, I want you to be my embassy and I'll come and inhabit it. Miss March, I want to live in you. Evie, God says, I want to live in you. Just replace your name with the ones I wrote and think about that for a while.

This is amazing.

This is honestly amazing. Like, it's crazy. It's a crazy huge deal. He could have made a huge big house and He chooses us to be lived in by Him? What a privilege! What an honour! What a love. We don't deserve it and yet He wants to; more than anything. Whenever one of us excepts, He rejoices.

When you hear it this way, it seems ridiculous that we don't want Him living inside us. Still; we're like, 'ugh no thanks,' so freaking often, without fully realising it, maybe. I recently read Forgotten God by Francis Chan and it was all about how we so easily just ignore the Holy Spirit; the God in us. We should not ignore it - it is a huge gift and a beautiful one. Of course, accepting God to live in us, to be a part of our lives, means something. It would have to make a difference or else there'd be no point to it - We have a duty to fulfil. If you want God to live in you; that means you should represent His love, and that is our duty.

I heard this simple message in a talk at Youth Group several weeks ago; and then I read Forgotten God, and then my brother got confirmed and there was a sermon on the Holy Spirit at the service, so I've been thinking about this deal a lot. It makes me so excited. I wake up, feeling challenged. I'm like, "Naomi old girl; today I'm going to try to show people that God is living right inside my body." (Okay, of course, I never feel like I succeed - but I'll keep on trying.)

I challenge you to do that same, dear people of the internet. (Would it sound medieval of me to finish this post with a 'go forthwith'?) ;-)

26 comments:

  1. What a sweet reminder Naomi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS. You have no idea how much I needed this. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that this was an encouragement, Chloe! Thank you! x

      Delete
  3. *can't stand seeing "0 people made me happy by commenting*

    wow tho...... this post. You know, I had such a peaceful feeling after reading it. Also, did you take that photo?? cuz... *nods* yes. PINTERESTY OR WHAT GIRL you've got skills <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, maybe I should change the comment thing. :-P

      Thank you so much, Julia. And the reason why the picture is Pinteresty is cuz.... that's where I found it. Ha.

      Delete
  4. This is so true! Thank you for the reminder! And Naomi Ol' Girl, you just showed me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (I really shouldn't be on the computer, so I'll just make this quick. ;))

    Thanks for another awesome, beautiful post. I'll be thinking about it, during the 12 hour car drive tomorrow. :) I love how creative you are, Naomi - these images you make in my head are so new! I'd never properly thought about all that before.

    (And "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan is now officially on my to-read list. It sounds SO good.)

    I accept the challenge.

    Also, one thing that came to my mind: I think, as girls, we should keep our focus where it should be. (Talking to myself too, here!) Compliments such as "You are SO beautiful!", "You sound like Laura Osnes when you sing!", or "You are very smart" would all make me feel happy inside, but when the compliment "I can see Jesus shining through you" is the one we value the most, I think we are exactly where we are meant to be. There is no greater thing than demonstrating God's love, and shining for Jesus.

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh Naomi, these posts are just so inspiring, and encouraging too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For that reason I never feel alone. I’m so happy when the good time arrives and I’m happier when the bad time is here, too, because I can feel God in me, living with me. There are people that think God isn’t a serious thing and laugh of me (it really happens) but when the tempest arrives I’m save and no shaking myself instead like they make.

    Thank you :D (Sorry with my bad English)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're never alone - don't let anyone tell you otherwise! :-)

      Thanks for your very sweet comment - what's your first language?

      Delete
    2. Spanish... I'm learning your language with so much eager hehe. I like it so much. I hope you can forgive all my mistakes. I’d like learning faster, but I have no native friend for speaking.
      ;D

      Delete
    3. No, I don't mind mistakes - keep practising, you're doing good. :-)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this, dear.<3

    P.S. I like the "go forthwith.";)

    ~Rilla Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, beautiful, thought-provoking post!! And yes! It is indeed crazy that the God of the universe--so infinite and far beyond all human thought and understanding--would actually want to inhabit us tiny little mortals. And that He would choose us to represent Him here on earth. Just wow.

    "It makes me so excited. I wake up, feeling challenged. I'm like, "Naomi old girl; today I'm going to try to show people that God is living right inside my body."" This is so good. Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's beautiful. I saw a quote by C. S. Lewis the other day that said, "Don't shine so that others can see you. Shine so that through you, others can see Him." This reminded me of that. This is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been talking about the Holy Spirit a lot with a friend recently and how we as Christians forget that the power of Almighty God lives in our bodies. And man alive, what a challenge! Also, being someone who loves to visualize stuff, I loved how you talked about God's house at the beginning. This was beautiful Naomi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, yeah I know, it IS such a challenge - but one that's amazing and exciting to take on. :-) Same, I love to visualise stuff too, which I why I wanted to share this! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Oh Naomi! <3 This is so beautiful. One of my favorite Saints and role models, Sr. Elizabeth of the Trinity, always kept this thought at the front of her life. The triune God dwells inside each and every one of us and therefore we must live our lives accordingly! She says, "I am never alone. Christ is always present, praying in me and I pray in Him." You are never alone.

    And like you said, God didn't make a visible house in the sky, but made us His dwelling to be seen by all. "I have found heaven on earth, since heaven is God, and God is in my soul." "Even now we are called to be a dwelling for the Most Holy Trinity." ~Elizabeth of the Trinity

    God bless you and thank you again for this amazing post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful quote!

      God bless you too and wow, thanks, it was a pleasure to write! So glad you liked it!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for this post, Naomi! It was such a wonderful, inspiring reminder. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a lovely post. It really has been a blessing to see your recent faith themed posts. Thank you for expressing your thoughts on your faith, I don't really see a lot of that, even on the blogs run by other Christians. It's uplifting. It's a reminder from a place outside of the church, which is getting to be a rarity these days.

    And I use the word forthwith all the time. So if you're medieval, I am too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much, Lissy - I've been inspired to write more about my faith recently. I used to not do it much because I couldn't find the right words to, but it's getting easier sometimes. I've also realised the importance of talking about it - not just in Church, haha. :-)

      Good. :-) Hahaha. Let us go hither and forthwith then. :-)

      Delete
  15. Ahhh, YES. Wow, thank you for reminding me of this, Naomi. <3

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.